When it comes to changing your lifestyle there is such an abundance of information available at your fingertips that it can become overwhelming. The health and fitness industry is constantly evolving as technology progresses and with so much available on the market, it is so easy to be confused as to which products that you should invest your money, time and effort into. Because of this, it is essential to find what works for you.
As with all things in my life, I choose to try to keep things simple. When things become overly complicated, I lose interest so I find things that are pretty short, sweet and straight to the point. Like most of us, I once fell victim to every new product and diet fad that was being advertised. It took me some time to finally realize, that I am a sucker for pretty packaging. It took me additional time and effort to learn that some of the “articles” in fitness magazines were actually paid advertisements created to look like it was not an ad but a part of the magazine. I fell victim to seeing the beautifully fit women in advertisements and assume the products they were advertising were products that helped get them those results. The reality is, many-if not most, of these women are professionals that won or placed in a competition and won sponsorship by a major manufacturer. It was disappointing to me to learn that the companies did not pick an average woman like myself and sponsor their transition and advertise their success story-(That is something they should really consider.) The point that I am trying to make is that I am no different than any other person who looked at grand marketing schemes as a quick way to lose weight, but I have learned to find what works well for me.
When I am looking into a product, exercise program, or healthy food to adapt into my diet, I read…read…read as much as I can about the subject. I am especially interested in product reviews and when I read them, I am more interested in the negative comments because I don’t know who the positive results are coming from. When it comes to exercises, there really aren’t any new ones; it is simply the sequence in which they are done, the repetitions, the speed that is being applied and whether or not to implement weights.
I am more hesitant to order workout dvds after a set I purchase a few years ago. I was so disappointed to put in the dvd and find that each dvd had one core workout that lasted 5 minutes long. The moves were effective, but could have all be put on one dvd. I have also learned that creating my own workouts work best for me because it puts me in the driver’s seat. So I choose to watch videos on YouTube and pick and choose different exercises and sequence my own routine. Finding what works best for you is essential because you are more inclined to follow through with it. You are more likely to adopt this new lifestyle and stick to it. Here are some helpful guidelines to consider:
- First, get a clear understanding of what you are trying to accomplish. Fat Loss? Weight gain? Muscle gain? Reached a goal, and trying to maintain? Trying to adopt a healthy lifestyle?
- READ EVERYTHING. If something sounds good in a magazine,on the news or radio, challenge it with your own research on the internet, or in a library, just make sure you use credible resources.
- Don’t fall victim to products simply because a celebrity endorses them-they are merely paid puppets endorsing products they don’t use regularly. Cross compare products and review the pros and cons.
- Find healthy foods that you are willing to try, and then find ways of how you could add them to your meal plans.
- Learn to read food labels and get a good understanding of the foods you are consuming.
- Invest time in learning about your body, how it functions and about what it actually needs.
- Avoid fads. They don’t last and leave you back at square one.
I happily share any information that has worked well for me; but I also advise people that what works for me may not work for you! If you are interested in learning what some of my favorites are, click the Product Reviews tab, and select Favorites. If you find something worth trying on there, and like it…please let me know! …and ALWAYS do what works best for you!